Buy first – sell later? Maybe it's a good decision.
The decision to buy first and sell later I think can actually be a great catalyst.
It’s been something of a discovery, an obvious one you’d think, that this is a decision that can't fall into the half pregnant category. At some point, there is a big plunge needed. Doing it this way really forces a commitment to a decision to let go and then focus on selling the family home.
I’ve done all the homework. What sort of place do we want, how do we know it will work? That looked good enough on paper. And even that can be hard enough, to get the confidence you’re making the right choice.
But moving, the actual buying and selling means commitment. I've realised that once the decision is made, there's no room for half measures. Sure, it's possible to resell the new place, lose a bit of money in doing so, and hang on to the old home. But then that means missing out on what might have been a great opportunity for something really better. Something new and different. And a change that can provide one of those memory landmarks that put a bit of colour into our reminiscences. Some decisions need the same sort of commitment you have when you jump of the deep edge. There’s no turning back so to speak.
Change. Key word here I think. And I suppose the essence of what’s happening and what’s been keeping me awake at night. Fear of the unknown, wanting to hang on to the safe and familiar. And I know I’m not alone – knowing many people who’ve agonised over this. Some who spend endless months building up their “property portfolio”, never to make the big move. Or endlessly wonder about selling their home, cashing up, moving away, downsizing, tree changing, sea changing etc – but do nothing. Or doing it impetuously. Or waiting for circumstance to make the decision, not a happy outcome if this is driven by age and ill health.
But I think that there’s a delightful escapism conferred by change, once it’s embraced – or even forced upon us. Because suddenly life seems more vital, and days and moments actually sit special in the memory, because they’re marked off by something new. Perhaps in the way a holiday seems special when we do different things. For me, finding myself wandering down towards Circular Quay (our new unit is close to Sydney Harbour) was actually an exhilarating experience. This for someone whose lived in Sydney for his whole life. Watching the ferries loading up with passengers, harbour lights sparkling - seemed to make my usual commuting seem like an endless waste of time, with all the back and forth in the trains over the years.
Needless to say – I’ve still revisited the new property quite a few times. Poring over the plans, checking how far from the transport, walking about the area to get a feel for things. This after we’ve made the purchase! Looking for reassurance as much as anything. Telling myself that views of Sydney Harbour don’t come cheap, when I ask myself if the price was right.
And while the decision to sell has been made – well, it must have been, since the signs are going up and people are inspecting our house – the focus is now shifting to whether we’ll sell, how quickly and for how much. And will it be enough. I think this could become engrossing enough for the moment to stop worrying about the loss of the house itself, and be more concerned about managing the sale. And a surprise for me, actually being helped by an Estate Agent who I think is earning his commission. Still, we’ll see if it sells and for how much.
And the questions keep rolling on – what’s our place really worth, did I pay over the top for my unit, is property going up or down, is this a good time of year to sell (some say yes, good reasons to sell in winter) or should we wait till Spring (some say yes, good reasons to sell in Spring) ?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment